Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hmmm....


Here is a picture of me when I was about Andrew's age. I find a certain relief that he looks a bit like I did back then. No need for a DNA test here. It is interesting because one of the most common comments that Dawn and I hear is something along the lines of, "Andrew looks nothing like his father. Look at all of that hair." What we find funny, now, is that we've heard it approximately 800 times, yet people say it and feel like they're being terribly original....



Somewhat related, I'm wondering why it is socially acceptable to make fun of bald people? Often I lament the loss of my hair and it hurts when I'm reminded of that loss. I know people mean no harm so I laugh along with them, but it's hard sometimes... Speaking of socially acceptable, why is it socially acceptable for strangers to talk to me because I'm carrying a baby? Why is do some of those people think it's OK to touch my baby, or even ask to hold him? People I know, I am thrilled to show off my child. People I have never met, I am not real thrilled to have you interacting with my child. How do I know where that stranger has been and that they're safe?

No comments: