Thursday, June 12, 2008

Outside Appearance

How many of you grew up like me with parents and other adults drilling into you that you "don't judge a book by its cover," that you judge people by their character and not by how they appear on the outside? How many of you have worked to instill that in your kids? I think it's an awesome value. It's the sort of value that I try and embrace. I think that's part of why I've been struck by the reaction that I've gotten today. (Sure, this isn't the first time I've gotten this kind of reaction, but it is the first time [I believe] I've chosen to say anything about it.)

Today I have chosen to dress slightly more relaxed than normal. I don't think it's bad. It's not like I'm dressed in shorts and a T-shirt like I'd prefer to be. I am wearing a decent pair of shoes, a shirt, tie, and blue jeans. I'm pretty confident that it's the blue jeans that have thrown people a little. The visitors we've had in the office today all have made comments about the way I'm dressed, saying things like, "Oh, is it casual Thursday?" It's not totally unusual to get such comments because I, sometimes, like to wear some clothing items that are, let's say, a little out of the ordinary.

For some reason it struck me more than normal how judgmental those kinds of comments really are towards me (or others). Now, I wasn't at all offended as they were intended as friendly banter, but I was struck by the comments. Part of the reason I like to make unique clothing choices from time to time is to make the point that it doesn't really matter what one wears. Why should it matter? Don't really believe that we shouldn't judge a book by it's cover?

No comments: