Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Marriage Confusion

If you've been watching the news lately you've probably caught on that "gay" marriage has been legalized in California. Of course it's going to be challenged in court and it probably won't be settled for a very long time, if at all. Now I understand that people have a variety of feelings on the subject as these marriages right or wrongness. I think I can also understand why one might feel one way or another. What I don't quite understand, and maybe somebody can help me understand, is the extreme comments against this law. I heard quotes from people on the news saying things like, "This is a slippery slope to the destruction of our society." I think I even heard it implied that this would destroy our economy. Really? Is it that bad? I guess I'm just not quite clear how legalizing "gay" marriage might completely tear apart the infrastructure of our country. I can see where it might make some people uncomfortable (although I would remind those people who are uncomfortable with this law that it is not requiring you to enter into such a relationship).

Honestly, I'm not quite sure I have a point here today. However, I am wondering if anyone can explain to me how legalizing marriage for same sex couples might signify the end of the world?

No comments: