Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Health Club Idea

My wife, Dawn, and I have been blessed with the good fortune of belonging to a great health club. I have to admit, though, joining was a little intimidating. I have been a runner for most of my life. I have played basketball for much of my life as well. Yet, I have never really used those machines before. They have all kinds of buttons and look completely foreign. There are a lot people around to watch you use them wrong, and sometimes (it appeared) lines waiting for machines so you better be able to just jump on and go so you get your workout done in time for the people waiting. It was scary.

One of the best things they offered was a personal introduction with a personal trainer. They walked me through and taught me how to use each machine and showed me how to sign up, etc. They even gave me suggestions of how to best take advantage of some of the equipments with different types of workouts. It's gotten me to wondering, what if we did that at the church? People who didn't grow up in the church very well might be intimidated by all of the "stuff" we have around the different code words that we use. What if we offered "personal trainers" to those who wanted to become a part of our church. Somebody to listen to them and their needs, to show them around and teach them how to use things, and then to offer suggestions of ways they can best take advantage of things so they can grow in their faith. It may not be a new idea, but it certainly might turn out to be revolutionary.

No comments: