Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama Thoughts?

Yesterday, I made reference to the importance of "The Cosby Show." I hope you read it as it was intended in terms of its pop culture significance. Having celebrated Martin Luther King, Jr. yesterday and now gearing up for the inauguration, I'm wondering what your thoughts are in terms of the significance of Barack Obama being sworn in as the 44th president?

Also, who are those people that you see as blazing the path to make the election of an African American president? MLK? Muhammad Ali? Jackie Robinson? Malcom X? Others?

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I agree with the woman in the clip you showed. It's about more than race; it's about age, it's about not being part of a family dynasty, it's about the fact that so many can relate to him. I realize that it's a little simplistic, but I think it has a lot of truth. As far as who blazed the path, it's certainly not limited to black leaders. What about JFK or LBJ, really anyone who leveled out the field of opportunity? I think I'm partly responsible as well. I stepped out of the shadow of racist relatives, voted by conscience rather that by skin color. My grandfather would be rolling in his grave.