Saturday, March 22, 2008

Warrior Servant

A friend of mine (DanaLee), a pastor in the Salt Lake City area shared this story with me, and I would like to share it with you. (She didn't give me "express written consent" but I'm going to assume it's OK for now.) She might not admit it, but she is a warrior servant for sure!

Turbo kickboxing is one of my favorite ways to get my cardio workout these days. My Monday night instructor is pretty awesome – spiritual, motivational, strong, inspiring. . . At the end of our workout this past Monday night, we were cooling down and she was taking us through a dance (a series of moves) we’ve done before that is meant to bring out our “inner warrior”. I’m all good with that. I don’t mind tapping my “warrior” within. J But, something she said in passing threw me off. “You’re either a warrior or a servant,” she said. “You choose.” Like they were two separate things. Like a warrior was strong and a servant was weak. It flustered me. It struck a chord in me. I think mostly because earlier that day I had prepared my sermon for Maundy (Holy) Thursday. In the Gospel for this night, Jesus takes on the form of a slave and washes His disciples’ feet. Then he commissions them to serve each other in this way. He sends them out with a new commandment to love one another as He has loved them. The world says, “You’re either a warrior or a servant.” Jesus says, “To be a warrior you have to serve.” (Later that night after teaching his disciples in this way, Jesus would be arrested and led to his death on the cross – and act of the ultimate Warrior Servant.)

I’m not sure why I felt so compelled to share this learning. I think of the list of people to whom this will be sent and this is nothing new to you. You are warrior servants already – to you kids, to your parents, to your friends, to your co-workers, to the people, known and unknown, who have been entrusted to you. Still, it doesn’t hurt to be reminded. Reminded that God’s word becomes clear in any old place when we listen – even at the gym. Reminded that as we love others through our service, we are following Jesus’ new commandment. Reminded that when we are tired in our serving – (and we do get tired and overwhelmed and taken beyond where we ever imagined we would ever have to go) – that Jesus serves us. From the cross, certainly. But, today, too. Now. In this moment. Never giving us more than we can handle. Never allowing us to be alone in our serving or suffering. Never letting anything we do or don’t do keep Him from loving us.

Blessed Holy Week, dear ones – warrior servants.

1 comment:

Diane M. Roth said...

want to say "welcome". The warrior servant thing I get even though It's not totally my thing.