Monday, March 10, 2008

I Don't Get It

I saw a report on the news this morning that kind of disturbed me. If you are familiar with Minnesota politics you will know that recently there was a new gas tax (first one in about 20 years) passed thanks to an override of a governor veto. How did they override the veto? Thanks to six republicans siding (gasp) with democrats and voting to override. In the initial days following that those republicans were stripped of their leadership positions in the house/senate. Now as the republicans are gearing up for another election series these six republicans did not receive the endorsement of their party. In fact, one of them is currently totally unopposed and he didn't get the endorsement. I just don't get it.

I know, I am a simple man, but I thought elected officials represented the people that voted for them first and then their political party somewhere else down the line. All six of these folks claimed that they were voting for what their constituents wanted. What's the problem then? I haven't heard any stories of other outlandish behavior by these six. Is it really a crime for a politician to listen to the people they represent and then (gasp) think for themselves? I just don't get it.

I am, once again, totally disgusted with politicians right now. I would like to think this is just a republican fault, but let's be honest here the democrats probably would have acted similarly were the rolls reversed. YUCK!!

No comments: