Friday, June 01, 2007

Strange Marriage

We've all come across them haven't we? You know, those marriages where you wonder how the two ever really came together. Maybe it is a couple of friends, a relative, or perhaps you wonder about yourself. Anyway, I came across one of those strange marriages this past week.

No, it wasn't the wedding of my dear friend that I attended in Salt Lake City. Rather it was while we stayed the night in Vail, CO the other night. This wasn't the first time I had come across it, but I had forgotten and it struck me this time through. On Wednesday as we were leaving they were just beginning the Teva Mountain Games. Personally, I think it's kind of a strange marriage.

Let me try and explain... Teva Mountain Games is something very much like the X-games. It's competitions that involve things like white water kayaking, mountain biking, and rock climbing. Many of these competitions began as kind of a sub-culture, as something rather anti-mainstream. On the other hand Vail is the picture of wealth. No not wealth, but extreme wealth. When I lived in the area for the summer three years ago (I got to preach at a Lutheran Church out there) the first day I opened the paper I found an add for a home that read, "Reasonably priced at $3.5 million"... reasonable? Really? In whose world?

Anyway, I just found the marriage to be kind of strange. Oh, I think I can understand why it happens. It's a great location, good for the sponsors, etc. Still, I find it kind of strange.

No comments: