Thursday, June 07, 2007

Do as I say...

Have you ever heard someone say, "Do as I say, not as I do"? I've heard it before and I hate it. Isn't the old adage "Actions speak louder than words" much more true? I love sports, but it drives me nuts to hear these young players talk about how great they are. I want to tell them to stop talking about what they think they can do and start talking about what they have done. Have you ever noticed how really great people never seem to boast about their accomplishments?

One of the most phenomenal, talented, marathon runners I have ever known personally is actually a member of this congregation. If you were to talk to the person you would never know. You might be able to get out of them that they enjoy running, but you wouldn't know that they have been one of the best runners in the state for a number of years.

When I was in Jr. High I was watching my dad run a race. The guest starter that day had, at the time, the second fastest marathon time in the world. He ended up standing next to me. He was more interested in how fast I had run the mile as a 7th grader than he was about how fast he had run.

1 John 3 says, "My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth."

Who have you loved today? I'm hoping you've told at least a family member or two that you love them... but have you shown anyone that you love them today?

No comments: