Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Reflectors

At text study today we were talking about John, who appears again in this Sunday's Gospel reading. In our assigned passage it is noted that John was not the light, but came as a witness to testify to the light. One of our wise members of the group then noted that this meant that John was in the dark and testified from the darkness, just as we do as preachers.

This got me to thinking that perhaps our identity can be described as reflectors. Driving back to our house from my parents home there is one curve that seems to pop up out of nowhere every time we drive that way. Thankfully there are reflectors around the curve and I tend to catch it in time and we make it safely. Most of the time the reflectors are dark, until light shines on them. Perhaps we are similar. We live in darkness until the light of Christ shines on us.

I realize there are a number of ways in which the analogy breaks down, just as all analogies do. However, I do think we are called to reflect the light. We are called to point (testify) to the light. Sometimes, I think we can't help but to reflect the light, it is who we are... who God has created us to be.

No comments: