Tuesday, December 09, 2008

The Edge

About 15 years ago I hiked to the top of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park with some friends. When you get on the top there is about an acre of rock you can explore across. My friends immediately went to the edge of the very steep cliff to look down and all around. I, on the other hand, have a, let's say, healthy respect for heights so I kept a reasonable distance. My friends made me terribly nervous. I did manage to creep over to the edge (or at least quite close to it) a couple of times, but they were very brief visits.

On Sunday evening Luther Seminary had a worship service for those graduating in December or January. I got to attend because Dawn will joyfully be done in just a couple of short weeks. The sermon preached was based on Sunday's assigned gospel and talked about living on the edge. She talked about how that's where John was, baptizing in the wilderness on the edge of repentance and Jesus showing up. It got me to thinking about my journey up Half Dome.

It was on the edge that my friends found life, real exhilarating life. Isn't that what the "extreme" sports movement has been about, finding life? I might be comfortable and safe sitting on the sofa watching TV, but am I really experiencing life like those who are living on the edges? I wonder what that might be like to live my life on the edge, especially when it comes to living out my faith? Can I really live out there? I mean, it's really kind of a scary place to be. I seem to recall Jesus saying something about coming to give life, but am I ready for that?

How about you? Are you ready to live on the edge with Jesus? What might that look like for you?... I mean to REALLY live on the edge?

No comments: