Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Close

I remember visiting a friend of mine a few years back and being amazed at how he and his wife could decipher what each different cry of their baby meant, they all sounded the same to me. Now that I'm a father I still don't have the crying figured out, but I am amazed at how much I can understand Andrew communicating by paying attention to him. He is generally a pretty relaxed baby, but there are times he does get fussy and cranky. One of the most common things that sets him off is when he is left by himself as Mommy & Daddy are quick trying to get some things done. He just wants to be close to us. When I come in the room to a crying, squawking baby and he stops and cuddles into my chest when I pick him up my heart melts quicker than butter in a microwave.

When it comes to your relationship with God, do you ever feel like Andrew? Do you have those times when you just want to be close? I know I do. In fact, this season of Advent leading up to Christmas is one of those times. There are so many distractions with staff parties to prepare, shopping to get done, decorations we want to get up, along with all of the other hecticness of daily life this time of year. In the midst of the busyness it's easy to discover that you've become isolated from God and... BOOM!... it hits you that all of this other stuff doesn't matter in comparison to just being close to God.

So go, get close, snuggle in with God.

No comments: