Monday, December 08, 2008

A Disruptive Gospel

The gospel from this past Sunday is still rattling around in my head. In my sermon I talked about how our opening passage from Mark really kind of sets the tone for the rest of the story, and really for the rest of our lives (since I theorized that the Gospel of Mark is the beginning of the good news of Jesus Christ, Son of God). It just keeps striking me over and over again how the Gospel of Mark has way of abruptly bouncing you around like a pinball in a pinball machine that is nothing less than disruptive and intrusive and that's exactly how Jesus tends to act in our lives. We're called this way. Asked to do that. Sent another way. Invited to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and befriend (pray for/love/forgive) our enemies. Jesus certainly has a way of getting our attention... I just don't know that it's through a warm, fuzzy disneyfied version of a deity.

No comments: