Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Wisdom vs. Information

Earlier today at text study we got to talking about the Gospel reading for this Sunday and the story about the wise man building his house upon the the rock. It led us to a discussion about wisdom, and do we really seek it in this culture all so much any more? Is wisdom really something we value, we seek?

Every once in a while you'll see a cartoon portray a guru sitting on top of a mountain. It's an interesting prop for a comic strip. However, it seems we don't really seek out wise ones like that all so much. Which made me wonder if maybe wisdom has become something we seek more communally, for example like Wikepedia.

We are overloaded with information every day. Yet how much wisdom do we get? It leads me to think we're a wisdom depraved society. If that is the case, can we really embrace a story like we'll read on Sunday? Where do we even begin to relate?

I can tell you that wisdom begins with God. In fact, if I remember correctly, the beginning of wisdom is fear of the Lord. I don't have many answers, but I can suggest to start with God.

No comments: