Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Dandelion Diligence

Ever since I entered the world of home ownership I've been fascinated with dandelions. I've especially been intrigued by dandelions as a metaphor for sin. These thoughts have reared their head once again as my annual battle with the yellow beast has begun. I know I haven't been as diligent as I could be in adding fertilizer and weed killer as I possibly could, but I've done pretty well I think. I continue to be amazed at the ferocity in which they persist and continue to grow. In fact, it's becoming almost a ritual that when I pull into the driveway, I wander around the yard pulling dandelions for 15-20 minutes before entering the house.

This new ritual has gotten me to thinking lately. What if I attacked the sin in my life with the same diligence in which I've been attacking the dandelions? How much better off might my life be?

1 comment:

Pastor Eric said...

I like your analogy but we can't take it too far. I spray my lawn a couple times in the spring and dandelions are gone completely until next year. I know there is no way I can do that with sin. But I like your point about attacking sin. We just can't think we have ever won the battle on our own.