Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Romans 12:3-8

I know, it's Valentine's Day, but I just couldn't bring myself to step aside and seek out something on love. It just seems like such a random arbitrary holiday, but what do I know?

I was largely struck today by verse 3 and this talk of boasting. It's so easy for me to become smug and think that what I'm doing is so much more important to others. It often leads to frustration for me because my greatness seems to simply go unrecognized. The thing is, I'm fooling myself because in reality I'm not more important and what others are doing are equally important. Don't we all have those moments? "I work at Mayo, I'm involved in saving lives, my job is more stressful than others they should be looking out for me." "I help teach Bible classes at church. I give offering on a regular basis, I deserve a say in what goes on around here." The thing is the bus driver, the trash collector, the construction worker, etc. have jobs just as important as yours. What they do may actually be critical in saving lives as well, maybe more indirectly or maybe in different ways. Just because I'm a pastor here at this church doesn't make me any more important than the member who comes once a month and rarely drops money in the offering plate. We are all a part of this body of Christ, we all have say around here. None of us can really boast of our position in life. Seriously, we really only have our positions in life because of what God is doing through us, so really God is the only one with a right to boast...and something tells me God is not going to be going around pumping his chest and holding a press conference for the whole world to hear any time soon.

No comments: