Sunday, July 20, 2008

Who Would Do Such a Thing?

Today's gospel left me with an interesting image. First the farmer plants his good seeds of wheat. Then in the middle of the night a neighbor comes along and sows seeds of weeds. It kind of leaves you wondering, "Who would do such a thing?" Honestly, who would scatter weed seeds? Jesus suggests later in the reading that it would be the devil and that kind of makes sense.

Then I got to thinking about previous times I've talked about dandelions. How many times have I unintentionally allowed dandelions to go to seed, which were scattered into my neighbors lawn? Is there really much of a difference? It kind of makes you feel a little more like a weed...or at least maybe a little more sympathetic to weeds. It's also the beauty of God that we can be made wheat, even in our weediest of states.

No comments: