Friday, April 18, 2008

The Power of Plural

I'll admit it, I'm not really a big grammar guy. It doesn't often excite me. However, there are times when someone shares something with me grammatically and it just really strikes a cord. That happened to me this week. When we were looking at the gospel reading for this Sunday and we looked at John 14:14.

You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

A scary place, for me, to end our reading. It leaves us with a picture of prayer that is one of God being kind of a Holy Vending Machine. I don't think that's the image of prayer I want to be promoting. But then it happened. Somebody (much more learned then me) pointed out that if you look at the original Greek you see that the "You" there is actually a plural version, not singular.

How cool is that? It's not about my prayers. It's about be faithful in prayer in community. It's not about some formula, bu it's about people being faithful in community. So pray...not just by yourself, but with others and may your hearts become one (with God and each other)!

No comments: