Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Romans 9:14-24

I'm struck by the image of the potter and the clay. I suppose it's in part because I chose that image from Jeremiah for my ordination. Yet, with Paul's analogy we are the clay and God is the potter. So who are we to try and tell the potter how to mold us? Still, how often do we do that? I think sometimes it grows out of fear. We can see the right thing to do, but it's easier, or so it seems, for us to try and coax a different plan out than it is to do the right thing. I do it all the time. It's kind of like when I was a kid and I would see another kid getting teased viciously when we were out on the playground. I knew even then the right thing to do was to try and help the poor kid. Instead, it just seemed easier, safer, to join in the teasing. Often God seems to be trying to help me become more patient, compassionate, or loving, but it seems that instead of allowing God to mold me I fight back and try and tell God how I should be molded. I try and justify my impatience, lack of compassion and love. I pray today that God would mold me and give me the courage to follow that plan God has for me.

No comments: