Thursday, January 24, 2008

Backwards?

Healthy living has been on my mind lately. Our insurance has asked us to take a wellness survey. One of the things that came out of that was that I'm overweight. I knew that, but it's easy to ignore. I look around at our American culture and I feel like I'm doing pretty good (Where do they find these people for "The Biggest Loser" anyway?).

At the health club we belong to they have been promoting healthy weight loss recently. Just this past week they put out a display showing proper portion size. Those are no where near normal portions in our house. If others are larger than me, are they eating even larger portions than we are at home?

Then I read Jesus' words in Luke 4 when he says, "Man shall not live by bread alone." That's when it struck me. Are we doing things backwards? We're told to eat in moderation, in small doses, but it seems we eat our meals with heaping helpings. Yet when it comes to the bread of life we are not going to gain weight no matter how much we consume, we will only find benefits. Yet when it comes to the bread of life it seems we do consume it in moderation, in as small of portions as possible to sustain life.

I know, I know, I'm probably exaggerating here. However, sometimes I think you need to exaggerate to make a point. I do think there is some truth to this notion. We need to spend less time consuming Wonder Bread and more time consuming the Bread of Life. It seems to me that can only improve our lives, our health.

No comments: