Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Why Are You Involved?

I'm wondering, as an adult in the church, why are you involved? Is there an event, an activity, or a relationship that connected you to the church that has now stuck for life?

I'm thinking about this today because as you look at most youth ministries it is typical that as the grades get older the participation becomes less. As congregations and ministry groups we are working hard to implement great programs and ideas, but still we seem to lack the staying power. It used to be assumed, in many mainline traditions, that youth might disappear after being confirmed but they'll return when they have kids. It seems that's no longer quite true. So despite our best efforts we're losing people. It makes me think that maybe we need to rethink how we're doing things... but how?

When I look back on my formative years I can see several things that played a role in my being where I am today. First, God was active through my family who laid it out as an expectation that we would be participating in worship. Then, when I was in 3rd grade I was asked to participate in worship for the first time by reading the lessons in worship (as in the whole congregation, not children's or youth worship). When I was in 5th grade there was a Young Life leader in town who was about to start seminary who stopped and asked who I was and what I was interested in. When I was in 9th grade I was asked by the adult youth leaders to participate in a retreat for planning for the future of the youth ministry in our congregation. They all, I think, affirmed my importance in the eyes of God. I learned that I was important enough for God to use me. Now I'm hooked. I want God to use me, to involve me in what God is up to in the world.

So why are you involved? Is there an event, an activity, or a relationship that connected you to the church that has now stuck for life? Please post a comment and share your story.

No comments: