Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Applause for Heaven

Last week when we were gone on vacation we stopped at Bear Butte Lake State Park, just outside of Sturgis, SD. When I woke up in the morning I went for a short little walk. Not far from the campground was the lake, or at least what once was the lake (it was nearly dried up when we were there).

On the shore end of the fishing dock was a cottonwood tree. Since we were in South Dakota there was a bit of a breeze blowing. As I paused to look out over the lake area underneath the tree I couldn't help but hear the rattle of the leaves. I closed my eyes.

At first it almost sounded like rain. In fact, it sounded very much like when we would "make it rain" around the campfire at camp. Then I listened a little closer and I heard something different. It started to sound like applause. It sounded to me like the tree was clapping. The tree, in my imagination, was cheering and saying, "Yeah God!" Like a little kid so proud of their accomplishment.

It made me wonder, when was the last time I applauded God for the amazing beauty that is around me. I have a tendency to do so when I am in the midst of majestic mountains or the tranquil beauty of a calm lake surrounded by trees. However, I often miss it standing in my back yard, even though it is there to. Perhaps today would be a good day to thank God for the beauty that surrounds us each and every day.

No comments: