Monday, October 09, 2006

What If...

Last night as part of a youth ministry training session we played a game called, "What if..." as a way to dream of what our youth ministry might be. So we dreamed of things like, "What if we planned an event that attracted every high school youth in Byron to attend?" or "What if we raised enough funds to do a mission trip to another country?"

This morning after reading the assigned Gospel for this Sunday I was left asking another "What if..." What if I spoke the truth that I hear in here. Verse 25 is familiar, but quite harsh, speaking of how it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God. Why is it harsh? Look around, we are rich people. If this is the case we are up a creek and totally without paddles. It does not look good. Then you glance back at our old testament reading from Amos, especially verse 10, and my suspicions are confirmed. Of course our reading from Hebrews this Sunday reminds us that the word of God is a double edged sword. So it maybe it's a good thing... What if I called people to task this Sunday for their extravagant wealth? I bet people would be upset with me. I wonder, though, if it weren't something people needed to hear and would benefit them in the long run...

What if...

No comments: